Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dominick Pierre...committed to God's call


This week's blog was written by Anitra Parmele, Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale Communications Team

As a fifth grader at Calvary Christian Academy (CCA), Dominick demonstrated his incredible athletic abilities on the football field, basketball court and the track. Anxious to do it all, Dominick was intrigued when JV Basketball Coach Tom Crenshaw suggested he try out for wrestling, although it meant his talents would be lost to the team halfway through the season. Dominick remembers, “Coach Tom thought I could excel as a wrestler so he encouraged me to attend one of the practices. I had fun and wrestling is a sport that helps you with football, so I stuck with it.”

By Dominick’s 8th grade year, Coach Tom’s insight was confirmed as Dominick barely missed out on districts because of an injury. Freshman year Dominick was one match away from going to states. By his sophomore year, Dominick was ready. “I was wrestling at 171 (pounds) and won the district tournament. A couple days before the regionals, I went to the ER with a strained chest muscle. I wasn’t sure what was going on. I really started digging into the Bible and praying. A group of pastors from Calvary laid hands on me and prayed for my healing. When I weighed in at regionals, I was still stiff- I tried to play it off but I didn’t know if I could wrestle. As soon as I shook my opponent’s hand for my first match, I stopped feeling any pain and I ended up making it to states. The guy who made it to the state finals had a similar problem with his knee. I was able to talk to him about God and to pray with him.”

Dominick has gone on to achieve success on and off the football field at Dartmouth, where he starts for the Big Green as a junior. “I’m not the most vocal person but athletics have forced me into a leadership role. I wouldn’t be where I am without the faculty and coaches at CCA shaping, molding and guiding me as an athlete, a Christian and a man. Having an impact at a secular school like Dartmouth is difficult but my athletic success gives me the opportunity to lead people to God. I am committed to pursuing what God wants me to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment